THE HORIZONS SERIES- AN INTERVIEW WITH IMA BADARUDDIN

 by Faizaah Kamal


1)      NFK: First of all, Congratulations on the amazing job you did at the Make It Halal. You were incredible as one of the panel and Thank you so much for agreeing to the interview today. So,let’s start!Can you tell me a bit about yourself?
FAB: My name is Fatimah Azzahra Badaruddin, most people call me Ima. I am the fourth born in a family of five; one boy and 4 girls. We live in a small, yet comfortable place to be called home in Shah Alam. I had my primary education in Sek Keb Raja Muda in Shah Alam and then I furthered my studies in TKC , before spending a year of medical foundation in AUCMS, Penang.

2)      NFK: Okay…What is your reason to be in the medical field?
FAB:Ever since I was 12 years-old, I have always envisioned myself as a doctor. Maybe, I was inspired by my elder brothe r and sister who were doing medicine at that time. I am intrigued with the knowledge of human bodies; it is a marvelous, complex creation of Allah the Almighty. I hope in learning medicine, can help me to become a better Muslimah by deepening my understanding about Islam indirectly.

3)      NFK:This is one of the question that I feel I need to ask to every medical students out there.If you are not going to be a doctor,which other career would you choose?
FAB:This question has always popped into my mind whenever I feel stressed out with studies. If I were not to become a doctor, I would love to become a homeopathic practitioner or a dietitian or even a ragdoll breeder. I still aim to become a ragdoll breeder one day.

4)      NFK:Would you like to be famous? In what way?
FAB:I wouldn’t really say that I’d like to become a famous person, but if god willing there’s a chance for me to be well-known to others, I want people to know me for the good things that I do for my family, the society and the ummah.




5)      NFK:This might be a little bit too personal but if you don’t mind can you share with us what makes you decide to get married at such an early age? Can you tell us the story of how it all happened?
FAB:The main reasons that have prompt me to make this decision about two years ago are because I really want to take care of my relationship with Allah, to have a relationship that is blessed by Allah and to protect myself from any kind of harm that may come in all sorts of way. Alhamdulillah, everything went very smoothly as Allah has planned it. I remembered the time when my husband told me that he wanted to talk to my father to seek for my hand in marriage. About 15 minutes later, my father called me and he said alhamdulillah, they had accepted Amyn’s proposal and would start planning things for the upcoming walimah. This was in April 2014. On the 10th of May, Amyn’s family came to  my house for the ‘merisik’ ceremony and this was when the date for the nikah was agreed to be on the 7th of June 2014. I am actually grateful to my family for if not because of them, all these would not have happened. They were the ones working hard, making all the arrangements while I was in Ireland. Everything was almost settled when I came back to Malaysia; all we had to do was to see the “jurunikah” and signed a few forms. Alhamdulillah, I am very grateful that Allah really had eased this path for both of us in the beginning and we really hope and pray that the next journey would be the same too.

6)      NFK:Wow!So,how did your parents react when you said that you wanted to get married? Were they supportive?
FAB:Alhamdulillah, my parents were quite surprised in the beginning, but I think they kind of had a sense that I might be the one to follow my mother’s footstep with all the resemblance that I have with her. My parents actually got married way earlier than I did, my mum was only 20 while my dad was 21 when they were married. All in all, my family was very supportive with our decision to get married early.

7)      NFK:Since we already in the lovey-dovey zone. Can you tell us three things you and your partner appear to have in common?
FAB:The first that I can think of is that we enjoy exercising in the gym. Amyn’s really passionate about basketball, while I enjoy playing badminton, so what we do is we will find a way to spend together training.
The next thing that we have in common is our love for cats. Our cats are like our little babies. We have two neutered male cats; olaf and wasabi. These boys are our little family, and we couldn’t imagine what our life would be without them.
Amyn and I also enjoy spending a day out in town, mainly going for a hot drink in O’Connails or dining out in Chilli Padi. I’d say, that would be our weekly routine, even the workers there know us as we are the regular.



8)      NFK: How do you deal with the stigma that people have with people that married young?
FAB:As far as I’m concerned, I have never encountered anything as such yet. However, I have been asked a few times by patients when they knew I was married, saying that I am way too young to be bearing huge responsibilities. But when I told them about my parents, they all laughed and said, “Well, I’m not surprised, you got it from your momma! “ and that is how I get away with it most of the time.

9)     NFK: Is it difficult to be married while being a student? What are the challenges and how do you overcome them?
FAB:I think it is the opposite for me. I feel much happier and easier to be married as compared to when I was single previously. I have a best friend and a companion whom I can share everthing with in terms of challenges, I don’t really see any of it as difficulties or challenges. I am very grateful to be given a partner who is very understanding and tolerable. He is not a fussy or picky eater. He will eat anything that I cook for him. He also doesn’t complain when I cook late because we just got back from the gym. And if he knows that I am tired, then we would sometimes order something out instead or I would ask him earlier to cook for that day.

10)   NFK:What is the *power dynamic of your marriage? Is it a typical one?
FAB:This question is quite tough to be honest, because I couldn’t really evaluate my marriage at present since we are both still studying. But what I can say, this is solely based on my opinion, is that we shouldn’t be keeping the traditional part aside as I believe that it is important to have a motherly figure at home. I believe that the early years of a child’s life is the most crucial part of his/her life, thus this is where parents need to play their part by providing the best guidance possible for the child so that he/she can become the best person they can be later in life. However, looking at life circumstances nowadays, it is not wrong for women to be working as long as the value of providing the best care and education for their child is not neglected and still deemed as their no 1 priority.

*This power dynamic conceptualizes men as "the provider operating in the public sphere" and women as "the caregivers operating within the private sphere"

11)   NFK: Has marriage change you as a person? How?
FAB:Marriage has definitely changed me a lot as a person. It teaches me to be able to share everything with someone else. Well, how else can you live together. Not only that, I also learnt to prioritize and think for others, and not only for myself. For example, I will have to think of the consequences and the impacts of my actions on my husband before I decide to do anything. I will also have to ask for his permission each time which I didn’t need to before this. In addition, I manage to become more patient and tolerable now as compared to when I was single. I am very grateful that marriage has brought a positive impact to me and changed me into a whole new person.

12)   NFK:If you can give one advice to people on marriage,what would it be?
FAB:The most important thing before getting married is to find the right reason as to why you want to get married. This is the foundation of your marriage and you will think of this back along the way, too. Thus, it is fundamental to have a strong reason that you believe in so that you will remain steadfast in the journey. If the intention is right from the beginning, In Shaa Allah, Allah will ease it for all of us.


 This interview has been condensed and edited.

Faizaah Kamal now will know where to get her own ragdoll cat in future.