The Horizons series- An Interview with Ainun Sailah



by Faizaah Kamal

Almost everyone in Cork knows who Ainun Sailah is. Words have been around that she makes people famous. She is the person behind the camera, the PPMC blog and most importantly, the creator of Humans of PPMC. Malaysians in Cork, myself included are ardent fans of this amazing project. On the Humans of Cork page, she wrote,” We want to show the other side of our family members, to tell their stories and hopefully inspire the rest of us.“ As she’s always behind the scenes, it’s only befitting that we put her up front as our first subject for this new interview series by PPMC to show her many facets, stories and hopefully inspire the rest of us.  I had a great opportunity on one rainy afternoon in Cork to sit down with her and have a little chat. We talked about Humans of PPMC, her passions and dreams over some coffee. If you are curious about this petite girl, scroll down to read the exclusive interview.



Faizaah Kamal: So …first question: Who is Ainun Sailah?

Ainun Sailah: I am 23 years old from Shah Alam. I am currently in Fourth Med. My passions are reading, travelling and photography. I am quiet and introvert person. I just prefer to be the observant one in a crowd, instead of mingling with people.  I grew up in Shah Alam, but in 2006 I moved to Kuching, Sarawak. I spent my high school years there before I entered college, a Pre-Medical study in AUCMS, Penang. My family has already moved back to Shah Alam.

FK: Wow! I feel like we have so many things in common. So, which genre of photography do you like best?

AS: I actually like photography since high school but coming here and meeting with so many wonderful photographers reignites that passion. At that time, PPMC organized a street photography competition and I thought that the submissions were so beautiful and that started my ‘love affair’ with the genre of street photography. I don’t typically favour landscape photography because I feel that it’s unfair to capture something that is already so beautiful. For me, true photography skill is when we can capture something that seem ordinary and turn them into beautiful arts. I like taking portraits as well because I like to capture people’s emotions and expressions. 

FK: I know that Humans of PPMC project is inspired by Humans of New York (HONY) but what inspires you to say ,’I am going to do that here in Cork too.’

AS: So, let me start from the beginning of the story. I was obsessed with Humans of New York after a friend shared them with me. At that point, I was already in PPMC as the Multimedia Committee and I thought that it would be nice to replicate that here in Cork. The first person that I interviewed was Fasihah Nabilah but I did not feel confident with my work so I just kept it as a draft until the committee started asking about this project. So I told them the state of the project and Dzar started to motivate me in the middle of the meeting to upload them. Surprisingly, many people liked the post and that gave me the confidence to continue with the project. I didn’t think that I could do it alone so I asked my colleague, Fahmi Faisal to help me with this project. We planned it to do every week with alternating gender and different themes. The purpose of the project was we wanted to show a different side of a person, of a PPMC member that most of us might not know. Instead of focusing on what are they known for, we asked on a different aspect of their life; family or hobbies.

FK:  How about you tell us the process of creating a Humans of PPMC post? I am sure people out there are really curious.

AS: It’s actually very simple. By Tuesday or Wednesday, Fahmi and I would discuss the subject for the week. In terms of recruiting, we chose a subject that was not too unknown in the community but at the same time not too famous. I’d contact the person and set an appointment and we would do the interview and photography usually on weekend or Friday evening.  And depending on the person and on the topic, the interview could go from 40 minutes to 2 hours.  After the interview, my colleague which was an amazing photographer, Fahmi would take photo of the subject. Then, I would write the post and Fahmi would send the pictures to me. A private post would be uploaded and the subject would have the chance to review it, in case they wanted to change anything. By Sunday at 8 pm, we would upload it.



FK: It’s truly amazing the work that you have done. Talking about the Humans of PPMC, I am sure you have done many interviews for this project. If you have to choose one post, which would you say your favourite one?

AS: I truly enjoyed talking to all of them, so it would be quite tricky to choose one. Besides, it depends on the topic itself. But if there was one interview that I would like to share with the public, I’d say Evon.  We talked about a lot of things, but there was one quote that I couldn’t forget until now and I would like to share it. She said, ‘It is a true privilege to be a medical student, to see people at their most vulnerable state and we are the one at that time who can help them.  Just remember that no matter how exhausted you feel with all the stress in medical school, the patient are in much worse condition than us. We have to think about the patient.  So even if we have to take some scolding from consultants, get to hospital early before the sunrise, it’s all going to be worth it because it is for the patients that will need us one day.’ But that is just from one person. I often felt inspired after I did the interview. All these people are so amazing to talk to.

FK:Wow! That is amazing! How about the most awkward or embarrassing interview moments?

AS: When I interviewed Amirul Asyrof, there’s this one moment when he started talking about his wife and marriage. He was so in love with his wife, complimenting her and talking about marriage which was very lovely but I was blushing throughout the interview due to the embarrassment and awkwardness. I remember thinking, ‘How am I supposed to write this?’ That was the only time that I could not reciprocate with my own life experience!

FK:  Oh my!  I can already imagine the awkwardness in the air during that interview. Alright, by doing this project, did it change you in some ways? If so, how?

AS: Yes,definitely! I get to sit down and talk about heavy and light topics with so many people which is a rare opportunity. I discovered so many different outlook and perspectives coming from different people. It makes me more open to different ideas and it teaches me that sometimes if you spend your time with people and ask the right questions, they will open up to you. You  just have to ask.



FK:  You mentioned that you are a quiet, introvert person Do you find it is difficult to do the interview process? Any tips on good interview skills?

AS: Not really because I am usually a good listener and one tips that I can give is to share your life experience too regarding the topic on hand. You as an interviewer have to ‘expose’ yourself so that they can too, open up about their thought and feelings. Usually there are certain topics in our life that is a little too private and we all have that so I do understand their position if they are not comfortable talking about certain topics, I will usually just close that topic and open a new topic, instead.

FK: So, I am sure there are many people who have helped you in some ways in making the project a success. Do you want to take some time here and maybe mention some names?

AS: Definitely! My partner-in-crime,  Fahmi Faisal , that has helped me a lot. My housemates; Aisya Amira, Shafika, Sazrina, Ridhwah Anis. They were the one who I consulted when deciding the subject for their opinions. Fasihah and Nadia Sahrudin as well, for their support.  Dzar too, for giving me the push that I needed to upload the first post. Also for all the people who supported the project. Their positive feedbacks always keep me going. Also for all the interviewee who spent their precious time with me. I could not thank them enough for the time that they spent for the interview.

FK: What is your greatest accomplishment?

 AS: I don’t really think about it actually because I don’t live my life and keep track of my accomplishments that I made. I don’t like the feeling of pride of the things that you have accomplished. But I guess, I am proud of the Humans of PPMC. Because whatever message that I tried to get across in the posts were well received by Malaysians here.

FK: What does friendship means to you?

AS: Mutual understanding. My group of friends are a mix of introverts and extroverts. I am a timid introvert so I have those moments where I need time alone and they understand and respect those moments. I am really grateful that they understand and love me as a person. They can even express and explain my feelings or actions to people when I can’t so it’s amazing.

This interview has been condensed and edited.


Faizaah Kamal is having a quarter-life crisis due to lack of accomplishments.