PPMC WINTER TRAVELOGUE WINNER: E VON CHEONG




By: E Von Cheong, Year 5 Medicine.

Thank you. 

I don’t know a better phrase to describe the essence of what I feel about my life thus far. I came to Ireland as a student with the intent to immerse myself in the vastness of Medicine.What I didn’t know then, but do now, is that the purpose of my journey encompasses the pursuit  of  higher  education. This  was  meant  to  be  my introduction  to  the  complex  but beautiful truths of the world and – myself.

This winter break was particularly special because I got to spend a week with my family in the UK. To me, it also meant introducing them to a part of the world I have grown familiar with over the years. It was a peculiar but liberating feeling to play the role of the adult taking charge of the trip and being cognisant of everybody’s needs and wants. It certainly gave me a sense of what my parents have been doing for me and my siblings for the past two decades.  

Our trip was marked by memorable visits to popular tourist attractions and interesting places.But what made the time spent together so special were the simple and intimate moments spent together as a family. 

Being in a part of the world far away from home holds a special meaning to me. Among many things, it signifies my independence and growth as a human being, but most of all, it reinforces my certainty that Love liberates and knows no bounds.

Love is  more than  a  constellation  of  sentimental  emotions between individuals.  It  is  the foundation of our existence as human beings. Home is more than a habitat  or a place of dwelling. It is a state of graceful surrender to our truest and most fundamental self. 

So whenever good and hard times come knocking on the door, and will no doubt, continue to,I remind myself to stand in the light of stubborn gladness, and say thank you, for Love has brought me safe thus far and I know Love in all its faithfulness, will lead me back to Home.